You must login before you can run this tool.
Petrological INput - Graphical oUtput
A tool to plot geochemical data in petrology
Version 2.1.3 - published on 20 Oct 2022
Open source: license | download
Pingu is a tool for plotting standard major element and trace elements diagrams. The input is a file separated by tabs or spaces in which each row is a particular sample. There are two ways to input the data: right button-click upload or from the Workspace (advanced users). A tab with different alternatives of plots and another to set the key of the plot are provided. The output can be directly downloaded from Vhub to your personal computer as a high quality jpeg image. Current Available plots:
- Harker variation diagrams
- Fenner Variation diagrams
- TAS classification diagram (Le Bas et al., and Cox et al., versions)
- De la Roche classification (intrusive and volcanic versions)
- K2O-SiO2 classification diagram
- Miyashiro diagram to discriminate between calk-alkaline and tholeiitic series
- AFM diagram (Kuno and Irvine and Baragar versions)
- CMAS Projection
- Yoder and Tilley tetrahedron for basalt classification
- Jensen (1976) plot
- Baker (1979) plot
- La Roche et al., (1980) diagram.
- Shand (1927) diagram
- REE elements diagram
- Sun and McDonough spider diagrams
- Pearce Spider diagram
- Pearce and Cann tectonic settings diagrams
- Winchester and Floyd (1977) discrimination diagrams
- Generic ternary plot (X-Y-Z)
- Generic binary (X-Y) plot.
To run the tool sign up for The Pingu Appreciation Society Group, an Open group with all ancillary info about the tool. You will find detailed tutorial and examples that will help you running the tool.
WARNING: THE INPUT FILE HAS CHANGED FOR PINGU 1.7.1!!!! See new Input examples in the resource section
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: